1Our first unit this year is drawing.
On the first Art day, all of the students made an art portfolio in which to keep their artwork. Towards the end of the year, the students will decide which artwork shows their best work. We will then show these artworks in the Suncrest Art Fair!
Our drawing unit is based on portraits, in particular, self-portraits. Some of the students will be drawing their friends instead, due to not having mirrors to look in.
The artists we featured are as follows:
1. Giuseppe Arcimboldo used all sorts of organic "ingredients" in his self-portraits.
2. Sofonisba of Cremona was one of the first women artists to be widely recognized during her lifetime in the 1550s.
3. Rembrandt created more self-portraits than any other artist!
4. van Gogh - his self-portrait looks a little like his photograph, but not exactly.
5. Grandma Moses was 76 years old when she became an artist!
6. Chuck Close has dyslexia and had difficulties in school, but loved art. He had a blood clot that left him a quadriplegic at the height of his career, but it didn't stop him from living his dream!