Sunday, March 4, 2012

Ceramics

My students are in the middle of two units right now: ceramics and portrait drawing/painting. On Thursday, the first batch of glazed ceramics went into the kiln. I kept praying that nothing would end up sticking to the kiln since some glaze jobs had been applied more generously than the directions stated. I am pleased to announce that everything came up cleanly (no sticking)! When I opened the top Friday morning, my eyes lit up at all the pretty, shiny objects! I was sooo excited for the students and they were super excited too! Now that the pieces are shiny, the students finally believe they are glass :)

 The filled kiln - three shelves - a different shelf per class
 Can you see the three layers?
The ceramic hospital - these pieces actually broke before they were bisque fired (as greenware). They are now on the mend :) The bottom left piece in this picture is the same one on the top right side of the first picture after it was glaze fired.