Saturday, April 30, 2011

Mexican Celebration Week!

Due to Cinco de Mayo coming up this next week, I thought it would be fun and appropriate to have a week of Mexican art!. Throughout the week, we will concentrate on a few different Mexican artists and artworks. I plan to add pictures and details of our Mexican art journey by week's end. I'm excited to share Mexican art with the students!

Monday - Market Day (PDF p. 40), types of Mexican foods, make fancy painted paper for fruits

Tuesday - Cinco de Mayo review - Masks by Juan Horta Castillo

Wednesday - Market Day (PDF p. 40), types of Mexican foods, create our market day collages

Thursday - Cinco de Mayo review - Masks by Juan Horta Castillo

Friday - Kindergarten - Mexican flowers - Dahlias

UPDATE:

The first through third graders made images of Market Day using colored papers and simple shapes to make complex shapes. I got the idea from HERE. Then I added in my own flair by showing the students the Visit Mexico poster and an image of a Mexican market (pg. 40).

Finally, in honor of Mexican Celebration week AND Mother's Day, the Kindergartners made flower bouquets using Dahlias, the official flower of Mexico. I drew the flowers and stems and had them copied for the Kindergartners. They then cut everything out and colored the flowers (the stems were copied onto green paper).